Drill Redesign

Project For
Carleton University
Year

Fourth Year (2020)

Key Focus
  • Design Semantics
  • Research
  • User Centered Design
  • Manufacturability
  • Solidworks
Project Length
4 months
“A Drill redesigned for the modern everyday user, inclusive, comfortable, sleek.”

The goal of this project was to start with a mashup of ideas, things that you might not necessarily think of together. For my project I chose ‘drill’ and ‘makeup’, two things that seem unlikely pairs. My end result was a drill that was more comfortable, aesthetically pleasing and more likely to be bought by someone who might be turned off by classic bulky, construction drills, but could still find value in this tool.  

01 Redesign Theme

As stated in the overview I chose the works ‘drill’ and ‘makeup’ to start my ideation for this project. The original idea was that I would redesign a drill catered towards women who were interested in beauty and fashion. Although drills can give of an intimidating power tool persona to some this is actually a very easy to use and useful tool, so I thought by targeting a somewhat unlikely market, it would allow more people to benefit from this product.

Mood Board

I started by creating a moodboard to get inspiration for the project.

02 Initial Concept and Exploratory Sketches

Initial Concept

After some preliminary sketches I created an initial concept to present to my professor, who acted as an advisor/supervisor for this project. We discussed expanding the market potential of this drill by making it more ergonomically correct, slimmer and less of construction or utility look and feel. This extended the market beyond just woman, but to anyone who had been put off about buying a drill as it was too complex or powerful a tool.

Exploratory Sketches

After agreeing upon the concept with my professor I began doing exploratory sketches at many different elements of the drill and how they might look, feel or fit together. 

Components

Another element of this project was to look at the internal elements of the object you chose, in my case, the drill, and learn the basics of what is needed and how things work together. Later on this would be relevant information for the solid works model and making sure all the internal components fit inside the new design.

Some of the ways I went about doing this research was taking apart a drill I already had as well as pictures online of deconstructed drills.

Models

Since I wanted this to be a more ergonomically sound drill, I created some models with a pasticine handle to get a better idea of what felt good in my hand. 

03 Design Intent

At this phase in the project we made orthographic drawings showing our design intent as well as general dimensions to start into a solidworks model with. In collaboration with my professor we made a few tweaks, such as making the base wider at the bottom so that the drill could stand by itself.

04 Final Design

The final design was created in solidworks, and rendered using solidworks’ rendering tools. I chose to make the trigger and direction switch a different colour from the body to allow for easy visual identification. I had to play with my dimensions a bit to allow for all the components, which were sourced from different websites (grabCAD, digikey, McMater Carr, etc.) as seen in the technical drawings below.

05 Technical Drawings

Below are some technical drawings of the drill as well as an exploded view with all the components.

05 Advertisement

The final step of this project was to create an advertisement of where this product might be sold, an appropriate price and marketing of the features.