Hi my name’s Emily Gray and I am from just outside of Toronto, Ontario. I have recently graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree of Industrial Design and a minor of Business at Carleton University. I have an interest and passion specifically for sustainability, design for social impact, biomimicry and ethical implications of design. For 3 consecutive summers I interned with a 3D manufacturing and design firm that mainly produces set pieces and props for the TV and film industry in the GTA. This has given me valuable hands on fabrication skills as well as reinforced the design principles and skills learned through my schooling.
A hardworking, jack of all trades with a passion for ethical, purposeful design.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access)
- CAD Software (Solidworks, Rhino 3D, Google Sketchup, Fusion 360)
- Rendering Softwares (Solidworks Photoworks, Keyshot)
- Remote Communication Tools (Zoom, Miro, Slack)
- Physical Modelmaking
- Time Management
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor of Industrial Design
Minor in Business
2017 – 2020
Larry Ryan and Associates
3D Design Fabrication Intern
Summer 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Dean’s List for entirety of degree (80%+ average)
- Member of Carleton University Ski and Snowboard Club
- Relevant courses include: Studio, History and Theory of Design, Colour and Form, Ergonomics, Computer Applications, Mass Production
- Focus on both hand sketching and computer aided design softwares accompanied by hands on model making (wood-shop, metal lab, foam carving, 3D printing, etc.), physics, linear algebra
- Assist with design and fabrication of props and set pieces for major Toronto films and TV shows
- Communicate with clients on design requirements
- Basic managerial tasks such as creating estimates, invoices and packing slips
- Work both with supervisors and coworkers and solo projects
Interests and Hobbies
I have a love for the outdoors and arts. From a young age I have had a desire to build and create while developing a deep appreciation for the natural world around me.
I have been riding horses for the last 15+ years and competing in eventing at the provincial level for the past 5. In 2018 I won the provincial championship for my division.
Art and Music
I enjoy playing the piano as well as self teaching myself how to play the ukulele. Additionally I enjoy fine art including acrylic painting, sketching and 3D sculpture creation.
I have been skiing for at least 15 years aswell and get out about every other weekend during ski season with the Carleton Ski and Snowboard Club which hosts weekly ski trips, overnights to Mont Tremblant along with jib sessions at our on campus terrain park.
Aside from Equestrian and Skiing I also enjoy canoeing, kayaking, sailing, golfing and badminton.